The first thought of a fish stew in minds of the most people wouldn’t be something delicious. Even if the very best recipe for fish stew is in question. But when prepared properly according to the recipe from eastern Europe, it is a real spicy delight! The preparation on which we will be focusing originates from Croatia. Baranja county to be precise. So let’s see how to make the best fish stew!
Best Recipe for Fish Stew With Freshwater Fish
First things first. This recipe is all about freshwater fish. Stews from carp, catfish, and pike have been made this way for hundreds of years. Fish species from local lakes and rivers simply have more fat than fish from the sea and the flavor of the meat that these fishes have simply go along better with all the hot paprika and the rest of the spices which are being used. So if you are looking for a light meal made out of bream or seabass, this one isn’t for you!
Now let’s see what exactly we need to make this type of fish stew. The amount of the ingredients should be enough for 4 servings.
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, preferable olive oil
- 2-3 onions – The more you add the better if you ask me. The onion will give your dish more density.
- 2 tablespoons of sweet paprika
- 2-3 tablespoons of hot paprika – Remember that this dish is supposed to be very spicy. So add hot paprika according to your own liking.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste – You can add more, just care about the sourness of the paste.
- 2-3 tablespoons of salt – Basically, add it according to your own preference.
- 1/3 or 1/2 cup of a quilty white wine
- A couple of hot peppers. It would be best if it’s a renowned pepper from the same region, but any will do. Just don’t add too much!
- 1 package of egg noodles ( 16 ounces ) – These noodles are traditionally cooked as a side dish with Fish Paprikash
- And finally, the fish. You’ll need around 3.5 lbs of freshwater fish. Most commonly fish such as carp, catfish, and pike are used. Carp is the only integral type of fish for this stew. You must have it. Rest can be a combination of various fish types, but the three that we mentioned will produce the best flavor.
We know the ingredients that we need, so let’s see how to prepare them in order to serve this dish. The best recipe for fish stew is all about the right products and the right preparation.
The best way to cook this particular stew would be in a cauldron over an open fire. But a regular cooking pot will do if you don’t have adequate space to cook outside. Heat up oil and throw minced onions onto it.
Once the onion gets soft add both sweet and hot paprika along with the salt. Stir and pour tomato sauce inside. And again, stir it.
Simmer the dish for 45 minutes while you are adding water from time to time. Seven or eight cups of water in total should be enough.
Now it’s time to add the fish! Put it in the cooking pot, add hot peppers and wine and let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
The last step is to cook noodles. You can prepare them just like any other pasta. Either throw them in the hot water with a pinch of salt or pour hot water over them.
And basically, that is it! You just created this tasty dish according to the best recipe for fish stew in Croatia. It might take you a couple of tries before you get everything right and the dish is made according to your taste. Play with flavors and condiments. Maybe you will find some other spices and types of fish that will fit your taste. Remember, cooking is an art and a playground at the same time. Enjoy!