After the recipe for Lembas bread, it’s time to move on to the next delicacy from the Middle-Earth universe. Beorn’s honey cake is a delicious treat when you crave something sweet. So take out your cooking utensils and learn how to make these honey cakes that even Boernings would approve of.
Beorn’s Honey Cake Recipe – Ingredients
To make these honey cakes you will need the following ingredients:
- 11 Oz. of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- half a teaspoon of salt
- 2 Oz. of sugar or sugar substitution such as stevia
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs – the bigger, the better
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
This should be enough to make 8 of these cakes inspired by the Lord of the Rings.
Beorn’s Honey Cake Recipe – Preparation in 5 Easy Steps
- Put dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking powder) into a bowl. Sift it.
- In a second bowl mix honey, sugar, and butter, and add vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice. Whisk it together until you get an emulsion.
- Add the dry mixture into the second bowl to make a batter.
- Grease the round cake pan and place nicely shaped squares into the pan. You can use an ordinary knife to cut the batter. Place the pan into the oven at 350 °F and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool.
Once the cake is cool enough and you want to add more of that honey flavor, feel free to pour some warm honey on top of the cake. Additionally, you can add cinnamon into the honey to get that extra punch on the first bite.
And that is all there is to it. No dwarf, hobbit, or elf will be able to resist your delicious honey cakes. This honey cake at first seems very easy and straightforward to make, and it is, but you still need to be careful in order to get it right. However, I hope that you will give it a go and keep trying until you get it right. Practice makes this cake perfect.
The world that Tolkien created is full of wonderful food. Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo, and the rest of the main protagonists encountered really delicious food on their journeys. Stay tuned because more recipes from Middle Earth are coming. Once I am done with all the articles you will be ready to create a real feast!