Welcome to the second article in my series about food from Middle Earth. In the first one, I wrote about dishes from Tolkien’s world and how you can create a beautiful feast inspired by Hobbit and Lord of the rings. The time has come to show you the recipes. Of course, lembas bread recipes out there are countless. There are even cookbooks written specifically for Middle Earth food. But, I added a bit of personal touch to my recipe.
Elven Lembas Bread Recipe
As I mentioned in the previous article, lembas was first mentioned in the Fellowship of the ring. In the chapter “Farewell to Lorien“. Elves gave lembas bread wrapped up in the mallorn leaf to the company in order to get them through the rest of the journey. I am sure that you, as a hardcore Lord of the rings fan know this very well. So let’s get down to work and you will have your very own piece of lembas bread that will fill the stomach of a grown man.
Lembas Recipe – Ingredients
- 12 oz. of all-purpose flour or almond flour which is gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 oz. of butter
- 2.5 oz. of brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Half a tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3 oz. of heavy whipped cream
Elven Bread in The Making – Preparations
- Put flour, salt, and baking powder into a medium to large-sized bowl. Mix them together either by hand or use kitchen tools such as a whisk or mixer. Once you get a good mixture, add sugar (whichever one you prefer), and cinnamon if you want, but I am not using it in most cases. Mix again until you get an even mixture without clutters.
- Now you can add whipped cream, honey, and vanilla extract. Stir it until you get a dough that is brimming with thickness. Place the dough into the refrigerator and let it rest for an hour or so.
- When you get the dough out from the refrigerator, roll it to a ¼ of its thickness and cut it into squares with a cookie knife. Cut an X on each of the squares. Simply make two diagonals from each of the square corners to the other one. Just make sure that you don’t cut all the way through the corner. Leave an inch of each corner uncut.
- Turn on your oven and preheat it to 425 °F. Place your square-shaped doughs into the oven and bake them for 12 to 15 minutes. When the cake is done it should have a lightly golden or light brown color. Depends on how much honey you’ve added.
- Get the biscuit out of the oven and let it cool down. To get complete authenticity and to make your guests feel like lembas was really made by the elves, serve it wrapped up in clean and unpoisonous leaves that resemble mallorn.
Congratulations! You successfully baked your very own elvish cake. I hope that you’ll like this lembas bread recipe and that anyone who will have a taste of it will feel like they are in the Lotr universe. Just like with any other recipe, you can play around with this one and explore with your own ingredients. That way, you can make sure that your lembas has a unique flavor and that it is baked completely to your liking.
And with that, I’ll wrap up. Enjoy this cake one small bite at a time and stay tuned. More recipes from Middle Earth are on the way!